What About Me?

My photo
A Small Town Country Boy Trying To Survive In Todays World

Monday, February 9, 2009

Ponderings

Ever since being laid off I have had plenty of time to ponder allot of things.

I'm in my mid 40's worked middle management most of those years so my chances of being called back or finding another job in that area are slim to none. So what are my options? Ok lets take an inventory.

Age is a problem in a production type job. There are hundreds of young bodies out there that are unemployed also and would be able to perform at a higher level than I would.

Health.... I have Pancreatitis which is a terrible disease that has no cure and becomes progressively worse as time goes by. Does not look good on a resume.

So as far as jobs go I'm limited on what I can do. I am not expecting to be called back to my old job so best to try and work something else out.

Unemployment will last for about 7 months. Rolled my profit sharing into a IRA so I can use that to supplement my unemployment.

Ok have the income covered now the out going.

Bills, we were able to at least come close to them until I got notification of my insurance costs...OH MY GOD almost half of my unemployment each month! Unfortunately, with my medical problems, I cannot go without coverage at this time.

So that made one decision easy, bye bye car. But what else? We already have tv cost cut to bare bones looking at what will be cheaper on phone land line versus cell. Have called all creditors some are more than willing to help others don't even want to talk about it.

Most treat you like a second class citizen, did get a pleasant surprise the other day had a very helpful and understanding individual. As he put it he is hearing my story more and more and he is trying to do his job as best as he can so he is not part of that story.

So currently we are contemplating all venues, debt restructuring, even bankruptcy. Kinda makes you wonder about spending your whole life working for the man and for what...? Guess there is no one to blame except the sorry individual that looks back at me in the mirror..right?

Ok enough of the pity party time to move on.

Now everyone has heard about the next great stimulus plan...that's now pushing $1,000,000,000.00...now that's allot of zeros...which is exactly what I'm planning on getting zero. Now lets say they give each of us say...lets be conservative here...$200,000.00... now where is that money going to go and what good is that going to be.

Remember that I'm just a small town boy here but what I believe would happen is that most of that money will end up right where they are intending it to go but there would be a whole lot of people like me that would not be in the shape we're in because we would no longer have mortgage payments or car payments because we would pay off our creditors. So in my uneducated mind not only would the money go where they want it but the amount of debt in the U.S. would be cut down drastically.

Oh well, at least it sounds good but...

It is what it is

Rod

4 comments:

Lydia said...

Hi Rod, Seems to be no end to this mess we're in.

The medical situation is the worse.

Hoping for the best outcome for you. I'm sure it will all work out!

lydia

Rod said...

Hi Lydia
Well it is what it is so..
I'll make what I can out of it!

Thanks
Rod

xox-Missi Mi-xox said...

Hi Rod

Having just recently gone down the bankrupt path as well as saying bye bye vehicle I know how you must be feeling.

I do feel for your position very much. The system us humans have managed to build for ourselves really shoot some of us in the foot and then some ...

and yeah the stimulus package sounds good ... I hope there arent too many in your country trying to stop it like they are here. But then I heard somewhere our PM is sending the country back into debt it just got out of for it.. who knows with politics ... its far too much like a big school yard with a bunch of bullies either punching or tugging one another.

and remember if you cant turn that frown into a smile watch out because I will turn you upside down for a while ... why? you will at least look like your smiling and others will get a laugh at how funny you look ;-) ....

Take care
xox-Missi-xox

Rod said...

Missi thanks for stoppng by
Yep it is amazing what we have let our selfs get into.
Thanks for the comment about the frown made me laugh

Rod