What About Me?

My photo
A Small Town Country Boy Trying To Survive In Todays World

Monday, February 16, 2009

A Lesson Learned

I was going to write about how some people are always so negative but every time I sit down and try to start my mind wanders.

Yesterday I went to a friends house to watch the car race with some other friends and the first topic we talked about was their work. How long they were going to stay employed what the future held for us all.

They were quizzing me a lot about how we were doing and what was out there and what to expect if and when it happens to them...That's how bleak it is here in our small part of the world.
My day started out with some reading on the Internet and when I read Jims blog yesterday it about floored me. Had never even thought about that before. It made me think if that was how it is, how much more could be cut.

It has gotten to the point in my life where I no longer can watch the news on TV. It upsets me that much. I get angry and my hands start shaking and my two stress monitors (the furry friends) let me know about it. How do those reporters stand there with their pretty little smiles and lie to us?

So after listening to my friends concerns, reading Jims blog, and just letting my mind wander I came to a conclusion.

I can't rant at someone for being negative when there is no positive input in their lives. I don't know what they are going through. But with the way things are looking for us (and I mean all of us) I can certainly see where it would be hard to keep a positive outlook for them.

In an earlier post I talked about how my friends here on the Internet have positive attitudes and that I was trying to surround myself with these people. So whenever I'm around negative people I try to steer the conversation in a more positive direction. Well today I was outnumbered so I let them rant, answered their questions, asked them questions in return, and let the conversation go in whatever direction it went.

Well it finally was more focused on the fact that what they were so worried about was where I'm at now. No job. It was brought up that my wife and I were looking good and seemed to be handling our situation very well.

So I explained to them that at first it was not like that but once we decided that it was out of our control that we basically sat down and decided to take it one month at a time. Can we pay our bills this month? Yes, ok great. No, ok then, this is what we can pay, and this is what we can't pay, and this is what we have to do to handle that situation. And then we pay those bills and then we basically forget about it.

Well they all said that they could not do that and my reply was...

It is what it is...

And you can not change it...

But then I added my good friends comment..

It is what you make of it...

And the rest of the day was nothing but fun and laughter...

Amazing what happens when you let them blow off a little steam first

Rod

5 comments:

deafnsmart said...

Jim's links don't open up. Can you fix it for us? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rod. Good for you! Tough to keep focused at times but well worth the trip, IMO. We can find the silver lining in most things.

Best wishes,

Gene

Rod said...

Hi deafnsmart thanks for stopping by
Link is fixed sorry

Rod

Rod said...

Gene thanks for the comment
Just though I would share that was all.
And yes there is a silver lining in most things but you need to have your eyes open to see them!

Rod

Lydia said...

You have a great outlook, even with all that. that's wonderful!

Hoping it will all get better for you soon!
lydia