What About Me?

My photo
A Small Town Country Boy Trying To Survive In Todays World

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hard Times

I was reading Johns blog today and this is what he had to say.

Now, I wish to remind you: Don't give up! I know these times are hard, especially on families where one or both have lost their jobs. It leads to breakups, many a time. But I wish to tell you... don't give up! Better times will come. Stick together, right now, no matter what.

Now I feel that he pretty well covered it with that statement.

So what do you do. It gets real depressing getting calls all the time from bill collectors but they are just doing their jobs also. But it does irritate me when it is one that has got federal bail out money. And some of the things they say. Do you really need to have health insurance? Well yes I do I have pancreatitis And it can flare up at any time leading to time in the hospital and numerous other expenses. Not even wanting to consider what the bill would be for meds. without insurance.

So we have started screening our calls because all it does when we answer them is either depress us or piss us off and we don't need that at this time. So if you call us it had better say your name or we don't answer it.

We have chose to consider this as a early retirement or at least that is what we are calling it. Makes things better if you can at least try and laugh at them.

So if your in our situation where both are unemployed do not blame your old job. They are just trying to keep the doors open them selves it was a business decision nothing personal. I knew that I was probably going to be laid off long before it happened. I could see the steps they were going through to cut costs and they had got to the point where seniority did not matter any more it was how can we operate at the lowest cost possible. So that meant that middle, upper management was going to get cuts and they trimmed the fat.

So do I believe things are going to get better for me... Yes I do.

Depending on what happens with the mass of paper work I have filled out and sent in to various government agencies I believe I have a plan for what ever the out come. So plan ahead look in the mirror so to speak and look at the worst case and you will be able to figure something out.

I have heard the horror stories of marriages breaking up and people committing suicide and just going off the deep end because of this. I personally can not even fathom that. Maybe they need to start a blog so they can rant at who ever all they want...works for me. Just remember this.

Bad things happen to good people to and you don't always have control over it happening.

It is what it is

Rod

4 comments:

Lydia said...

Hey Rod, Really nice post. You and John are both right, there's a saying my old manager would use often that I always liked and its so true. ..."And this too shall pass..." It may not seem like it with certain situations, but all things do. it's why we invented time. ;)

Sorry you and your family are going through this, but am glad you're optimistic.

Have a great day!
lydia

Rod said...

Hi Lydia
Thanks for your comments and I should of added.
It is what you make of it!

Rod

HermitJim said...

My brother, even though I am out of the rat race I can sympathise. I took retirement as soon as I could because of what I thought was coming. I was wrong...it was a LOT worse than I imagined and getting worse all the time.

Being single at this point has turned into a blessing, as I don't have a family to worry about supporting.

Anything that I can do, any help I can offer, just say the word, my friend!

Rod said...

Jim
What cam I say after that...
Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
Your kindness has left me speechless.

Rod